Anton von Werner - Costume Study for Count Kolb von Wartenberg - image-1
Anton von Werner - Costume Study for Count Kolb von Wartenberg - image-2
Anton von Werner - Costume Study for Count Kolb von Wartenberg - image-1Anton von Werner - Costume Study for Count Kolb von Wartenberg - image-2

Lot 260 Dα

Anton von Werner - Costume Study for Count Kolb von Wartenberg

Auction 1217 - overview Berlin
22.04.2023, 11:00 - The Prussian Sale
Estimate: 2.000 € - 3.000 €
Result: 2.268 € (incl. premium)

Anton von Werner

Costume Study for Count Kolb von Wartenberg

Pencil. 45 x 25.4 cm.
Monogrammed and dated lower left: AvW. 1884.

This drawing is a study for the now lost monumental mural "The Coronation of Frederick I as King in Prussia in the Palace Chapel at Königsberg", which Anton von Werner created in 1887 (cf. fig. 1). The study shows Johann Kasimir Kolb von Wartenberg, one of the most powerful advisors to the Elector of Brandenburg, who was instrumental in his coronation and later became Prime Minister of the new kingdom. In keeping with Kolb von Wartenberg's political importance, the artist has placed him in the centre of the picture, directly next to Frederick I, who is shown crowning himself.

Fig. 1: Anton von Werner, The Coronation of Frederick I as King of Prussia in the Palace Chapel at Königsberg, 1887, formerly Berlin Armoury (war loss).

Provenance

Private collection, Berlin.

Literature

Exhib. cat. Berlin 1993: Anton von Werner, Geschichte in Bildern, ed. by Dominik Bartmann, Munich 1993, p. 359, illus. no. 531.