A Meissen porcelain plate from a dinner service with views after Canaletto - image-1

Lot 1428 Dα

A Meissen porcelain plate from a dinner service with views after Canaletto

Auction 1230 - overview Cologne
17.11.2023, 10:00 - Decorative Arts - Silver, Porcelain, Faience
Estimate: 3.000 € - 4.000 €
Result: 4.536 € (incl. premium)

A Meissen porcelain plate from a dinner service with views after Canaletto

With gilded wave pattern border, painted in the centre with a detailed scene of the new market in Dresden, inscribed in black on the reverse "Perspective de la place du nouveau Marché, de la grande Garde et de l'Eglise Notre Dame â Dresde." Blue crossed swords mark with dot, I in the basal ring. D 23.9 cm.
Around 1770.

The view painted on this plate follows an etching by Bernardo Bellotto, called Canaletto (1722 - 1780), entitled "Perspective de la Place de la grande Garde, aïant d'un coté le Gewandt-Haus, d'un autre l'Eglise Nôtre Dame, verse les Ecuries de S. M" and inscribed: "La vüe a été tirée de la Meren-Strasse." or "Depeint, dessiné et gravé par Ber: Bellotto dit Canaletto Pen.re R:le 1750", now housed in the Kupferstichkabinett Dresden, inv. no. A 1951-124.

Provenance

Collection of Erika Pauls-Eisenbeiss.

Literature

Cf. Pauls-Eisenbeiss, German Porcelain of the Eighteenth Century: The Pauls Collection, vol. I, London 1972.
Cf. further items from this service in the collection of Pauls Riehen in Meister (ed.), Porzellan des 18. Jahrhunderts, Bd. I Meissen, Frankfurt 1967, p. 176 ff.
Cf. a dish from the service with views after Canaletto in the Bavarian State Museum in Rückert, Meissener Porzellan 1710 - 1810, Munich 1966, cat. no. 655.